Thursday 28 March 2013

Womeninspiration Vol.7 - Marie Davidson ♥


Artwork by Francesco De Gallo

Les momies de Palerme, DKMD, Les Sirènes, Essaie pas... you are involved in a lot of musical projects. Please tell us a bit more about the most significant ones and how they contribute to your artistic fulfillment?

I met with Xarah Dion in 2006, we instantly decided to form Les momies de Palerme after improvising on night at La Brique, the space where we composed most of our music. From the beginning, we had a very intense dialogue using any instrument we could find from keyboards to electric guitars, and drums. After a year of improvisation we refined our music and came up with songs based around processed synths, violin and voices. Two records were released from this project; the self released L’amour sincere†
and Brulez ce cœur, out on Constellation Records. Later in 2010, I met David Kristian who is the other half of DKMD. David is an amazing sound designer who taught me a lot about processing, drum programming and most of all, made me fall in love with sequencers witch play a major role in the making of my solo project. In the last year DKMD went from classic Disco (On The Other Side EP out on Fur Trade Records) to Electro with a touch of Italo Horror (our Sacrificio EP will be released on the Italian label J.A.M. Traxx this summer). David and I also have a side project called Hotel Monochrome that brings us out of the dancefloor style to something more introspective and trippy, this is where I learned how to make music with only electronic gear.  Essaie pas is a band that changed form and style many times since its inception, and now involves Pierre Guerineau and I. Within this project, we try to give birth to sensual music everytime we meet to collaborate (The Tout est jeune EP sold out, more music to come in the next year). Pierre’s skills were also very useful when I recorded the voices and he also did the final mixes on my own EP.

What first motivated you to release a solo album and how did your approach to producing music differ to working in a band?
In 2012, I went into depression. I started my solo project to escape from some obsessive thoughts that were bringing me down, in order to fill my head with sounds instead of ideas. It was really hard at first because I had never worked on my own; I had trouble figuring some of my new gear and I had doubts I could come up with something interesting. After a few months of work I played my first solo show and people were really enthusiastic about it, so I decided to post my "first songs" on bandcamp. That’s how the solo EP ended up online...

Picture by Darren Ell

What's the story behind the artwork?

Science Fiction is something which inspires me a lot; I like the aesthetic related to it. Everytime I would think about album covers for this project, I would see some kind of photograph in my head but I didn’t know how to put it in words, so I asked my friend Francesco De Gallo (Hobo Cult
tapes) to take a picture of me and to do anything that would make it look sci-fi. I knew I could trust him because he always comes up with great artwork for tapes. I’m very happy with the results.

You are both a poet and a musician. To what extent are these two fields connected in your art?
I’ve always liked poetry but sounds and harmonies are more vital to me. I write poetry to put words on sounds I want to hear in my music. I also use poetry to communicate things I would not dare, or be able to say in everyday life.

Who are your favorite musicians and poets? Would you consider putting someone else's words into music?
My favorite musician is Klaus Schulze. My favorite poet is Charles Bukowski. It’s funny that you ask, because working with Essaie pas, we’ve already put in music two of his poems. Il faut on our first EP in French translation and "514-376-9230" is some kind of collage of sentences I chose from Love is a Dog From Hell.

Since your art is mainly based on emotions, do you feel like it has a cathartic effect on you?
 Yes, music saved my life. It’s more than cathartic, it’s the best thing that happens to me every week.

Picture by David Vilder
 
How was it to work with Matana Roberts? I just discovered her but she seems amazing!

Matana is a very talented and generous musician. I loved working with her and the whole Coin Coin band.

How's the local scene in Montreal? Which bands would you recommend?
Montreal scene is very alive. You can find many bands or projects for almost every type of music. We just don’t have enough night clubs and after hours where good DJs want to make you dance all night; it’s mostly venues or DIY spaces. As a recommendation I would name Bataille Solaire, this is the solo project of Asael Robitaille, who plays guitar for Jef Barbara and Femminielli. It’s crazy electronic music made from synths and software, with beautiful touches of Kosmische and world music.

I’m gonna send you several videos and I would like you to tell me what you think in few words
Video 1: Kathy Acker interviews William S. Burroughs
I like William Burroughs but I find this interview a bit boring.

Video 2: Nini Raviolette - Suis-Je Normale?
Nini Raviolette, I’ve first heard this song when I was 19, but never really knew who it was. The lyrics are so good, the video is . . . shifty. Or in French I would say "louche"...

Video 3:
Christina Aguilera - Birds of prey
Woaw ! Christina?! It sounds like a mix of Disco and Garbage (the band). Not too sure about this one...

Video 4: DEUX - Paris Orly
I love Deux! They are a great inspiration for me. The song Games and Performance once made me cry.

Video 5: Pink Industry - What I Wouldn't Give 
This is beautiful!

Thank you very much Marie!
Wish you the best

See you readers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment